Update: MNPS confirms McGavock HS sandwich mold; scores 98 on new health inspection

Share this article...

Last week on August 8th, a student at McGavock High School took a photo of a chicken sandwich, which had mold on both side of the bread, on either side of the grilled chicken. This image, along with others, quickly spread to parents, social media, and media outlets.

MNPS Public Information Officer Dawn Rutledge confirmed to Scoop: Nashville that it was mold that was found on the food, and states it was self-reported to the Metro Health Department, who conducted an inspection. In speaking with health department officials earlier today, they say the inspector that arrived on the following day, august 9th, wasn’t aware of the situation, or the reason for the inspection, until she arrived on-site and employees explained the incident to her.

During the inspection, which lasted two hours, only two violations were found, resulting in a score of 98. Those observed violations were:

  • Box of bread on floor in kitchen
  • Blade of can opener dirty

Prior to last week’s inspection, the most recent inspection was in March (after this story) in which the school scored a 96. Rutledge was quick to re-iterate that the reports of moldy food in March, which we also reported on, was not mold in that case, and was a “chemical reaction” between the bread and the preservative used on the egg when heated in a particular method – though that didn’t explain why it only happened on a few of the meals, and wasn’t system wide.

On that same day, students reported being served expired drinks, as seen in the photos below. Metro Nashville did not deny this happened, but stressed it shouldn’t have. We spoke with some cafeteria workers at a different MNPS school that same day, who said their cafeteria was preparing to sell their expired drinks at a discount, however when this story came out on the 8th, they instead didn’t risk it. Rutledge said the practice of selling expired drinks (whether at full price, or a discount), is not within MNPD policy.

Here’s the full report from the Metro Health Department, for reference. If you have photos you’d like us to see, email us: tips@scoopnashville.com

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Here’s the original story, published October 8th:

In March, we published a photos of what appeared to be molded biscuits being served at McGavock High School for breakfast, and MNPS Executive Director of Nutrition Services Spencer Taylor said “the discoloration was caused by a chemical reaction when the egg and biscuit were cooked together”. Today, many students were served not only what appears to be molded bread, but also drinks past their expiration date, and this time there is no egg to blame a ‘chemical reaction’ on.

Below are images submitted by students of today’s (10/08/2018) lunch served at McGavock, the bread showing discolored pots on both sides, independent of chicken in the middle, where the spots appear, where the bread once was together before becoming a sandwich, and a drink that expired days ago.

We have reached out to MNPS, and while they are now aware of the situation, they have not yet provided any comments at time of publication.

Previously – March 13th, 2018:

Confirmed by several students and parents, below are photos taken of the breakfast served this morning (03/13) at McGavock High School in Nashville. Several students report their biscuits were covered in what appeared to be mold, as served to them:

Leave a comment

Related posts